- This semester's event is literacy-based, and involves a research study on whether physical activity can reinforce reading skills and increase kids' motivation to read. The study has been approved by the UNCW Institutional Review Board (protocol #19-0061). Participation in the study is completely voluntary, and children can still participate in all games and activities, even if they or their parent/guardian do not wish to be part of the study.
- Parents can begin dropping off children at Hanover Gymnasium at 5:00 PM on the day of the event.
- This event is themed around "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", so wearing Halloween costumes is encouraged, but not required.
- All volunteers running the event are majoring in Healthful Living Education. They all have experience leading games and physical activity.
- The Healthful Living Education coordinator, Dr. Amelia Huelskamp, will be present at all times to supervise.
- We welcome all children ages 4-12 (must be potty trained).
- Children must wear running shoes.
- Snacks will be served (bananas, oranges, granola bars), but children should be fed dinner prior to drop-off.
- The event is free, but donations will be accepted. All donations will help Healthful Living Education majors travel to professional conferences to present research.
- Parents must complete an emergency contact form at the door at the time of drop-off, and must return to pick up children by 9:00 PM.
- RSVP to PEHClub@uncw.edu by Thursday, October 17th, 2019 to save your spot!
Friday, September 27, 2019
Due to popular demand, the Healthful Living Education majors will host another Parents' Night Out on Saturday, October 19th, 2019! The event will take place in Hanover Gymnasium, and it is themed around "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"! Parents' Night Out gives faculty and staff at UNCW an opportunity to relax for an evening while kids enjoy a night of games, scary stories, and physical activity. Here's what you need to know...